Growing a healthy, happy lawn is something that many of us strive for and want for our homes. Giving your turf the best start will ensure that you have the best success possible with your turf over the course of its lifetime. One of the most common questions asked about how to install turf is whether or not you need to invest in all-new soil for the turf to be planted in.
In order to provide you with the best advice, there are a few things to take into consideration:
- The type of soil currently in your garden. If you have soil that is full of clay, rocks or hard-packed, you may want to consider either amending your current soil or investing in new soil. Adding mulch or other soil amendments may also help improve your soil for installing turf, but will take time to change the soil to something more suited to the turf.
- The depth of soil you currently have. Healthy turf will grow deep roots. If you only have a few inches of good quality soil sitting on top of less than desirable soil, it may be a good idea to add a few more centimetres of soil to the top of your current existing soil.
- On the other hand, if you already have dark healthy, nutrient-packed soil, you shouldn’t need to add any more soil to where you are wanting to install turf, as the existing soil should be adequate to install your turf.
- If your soil is unlevel or patchy, you may also want to consider adding soil to the lower-lying areas to bring them up level with the other parts of the lawn so that your new turf can root properly in all areas of the yard. A flat, level yard is the best start for installing turf. Of course, this may not always be possible if you have hills or slopes, but adding soil to make it as level as you can is a good starting point.
- Another thing to consider regarding needing new soil or not is the type of turf you are looking to install. Different types of turf do better in different types of soils. Some prefer a more acidic soil, while others will die if the soil is too acidic. Dependant on the type you choose will determine whether or not the soil you currently have will work for your new turf.
If you have any other questions about how to install turf, our team of experts at River’s Edge Turf would love to help you out. Whether it is how to prepare for your turf, installing your turf, or taking care of your freshly installed turf, we can assist you with all your turf needs. Check out our store today and see how we can help you create the lawn of your dreams.